Sure, oatmeal’s great with cinnamon and sugar. For a twist, try this savory take: oatmeal paired with the classic combo of ham, eggs and cheese.
Ham, Egg, and Also Egg Oatmeal
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 4 ounces lean Black Forest ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ounces shredded Gruyere or Cheddar (about 3/4 cup)
- ⅓ cup cup chopped fresh chives (about 1/3 small bunch); plus more for garnish (about 1/3 small bunch); plus more for garnish
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large eggs
- Bring 4 1/4 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the oats, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the oats are soft and the oatmeal is slightly thickened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the ham, cheese and chives and remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully crack the eggs into the pan and cook until the whites are set and slightly crispy and the yolk is still runny, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Transfer the oatmeal to individual bowls. Top each with an egg, sprinkle with additional fresh chives and serve.