Using a waffle iron to make French toast is not only easier (no pan), but you also significantly lower the saturated fat (no butter). Both sides of the French toast cook at once, so no flipping!
Waffled Blueberry French Toast with A Carrot-Ginger Smoothie
- 2 cup lowfat plain yogurt
- 2 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 cup blueberries
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup 2-percent milk
- 1 large egg
- Large pinch ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tbsp toasted almonds
- Make the smoothies: Combine the yogurt, 1 1/2 cups ice, carrots, 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup and the ginger in a blender and blend until smooth. Divide among four glasses and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make the sauce: Combine the blueberries and the remaining 3 tablespoons of maple syrup in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until the blueberries pop, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron and lightly coat with the nonstick cooking spray. Whisk together the milk, egg, cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a baking dish. Soak a piece of bread, on each side, for a few seconds. Place on the waffle iron, close and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and keep warm on a plate covered in foil, repeat with the remaining bread.
- Divide the waffles and blueberry sauce evenly among four plates, sprinkle with almonds. Serve with the smoothies.